HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Workout Log: Sean Ryan

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I thought i better do regular updates (whoops) as i haven't actually talked much about training.

Here we go:

Just finished Week 3 Workout 1; the ache in my chest is unreal, a mixture of the shoulder press, bicep curls and chest press really took it toll. I did 3 sets of all the exercises, although i slightly changed the last few supersets so instead i did:

Band Squat: 3x20
Band chest Press: 3x20

Band Lunges: 3x20
Band Row: 3x20

Band Shoulder Press: 3x20
Band Bicep Curls: 3x20

Standing Rotations: 3x20
Ab-rollouts: 3x15

Leg raises will ball: 2x10
Leg raises: 2x as long as possible

I am loving these supersets! Mainly the shoulder press/bicep curl. As you might know i do not do the interval training - my swimming covers that so i will be swimming tomorrow night.

I didnt manage to take photos last weekend or do the baseline stats so i will do them at the end of week 4 instead (then week 8, 12, and 16).

I am happy with the progress so far - i am feeling a lot stronger and looking leaner as well. I am going up to Scotland near the end of Feb so gotta look good for that - more inspiration to work hard!

I am also going to add that i am very impressed with everyones progress so far! You guys never fail to amaze me! Keep on working hard and we will shock the world after 16 weeks!

Sean

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:56 am

I dont know about anyone else but i am feeling extra sore today - that 300 workout is still haunting me!!! I supose it didn't help trying to do Tabata Thrusters less that an hour after...hmmmm. (yes i said trying, did about 3 rounds and had nothing left!)

Dreading the 2 hour swim session tonight, but at least i know i will sleep well! Also looking forward to Week 3 session 2 tomorrow morning.

Looking ahead - there will only be 13 weeks to go soon! Doesn't time fly when you kicking arse? lol!

Sean

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 pm

Thats another swim session out the way. I turned up stiff and sore from yesterday and managed to last 1h30mins out of a 2hour session. To be fair in the 1h30 i was working very very hard. Got Week 3 session 2 tomorrow morning which i am looking forward to. Really enjoying Week 3 for some reason. Smile

Keep on workng hard guys!!

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Evening guys! I am absolutly shattered - got less than 3 hours sleep last night and i have just finished week 4 session 1!!!

It was one of those you love to hate it sessions, I have found a new nemisis - worse than dive bomber push-ups - it is the Ball Push-ups! My arms would not stop shaking!!! All i am looking forward to now is the last session of week 4 when i have nailed them completely!!!

I did 4 sets through the following circuit:

Ball Push-ups (Total number done: 55 - see told you i suck!)
Ball Squat (Total number done: 97)
Seated Band Row (Total number done: 147)
Hip Bridge (Total number done: 146)
Side Lateral Raise (Total number done: 88 )
Tricep Ext. (Total Number done: 108)
Ball Crunch (Total number done: 236)
Leg Raises (Total number done: 170)

I was going to try the Tabata Thrusters after this but i am soooooo damn tired and still need to do more studyng. *Sigh*

I took a few pics while at my dads, i think i may post them if i manage to find my bluetooth dongle.

Keep on working hard guys!!!!

Sean

Manny

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Nice man! Way to kick week4's ass!
Dont worry about ball pushups, we all have weak points. By friday you will be doing them like nothing.

Thanks for the early review. I'll be doing my week4day1 in a few hours and its nice to know what ill be facing drunken

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Here are some end of week 3 pics - not amazing quality. Will do the proper pics at the end of week 4.

Xavi
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:02 pm

Way to go, Sean!!!! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:49 am

Hi Sean,
The photos are looking great, your body fat %age must be nonexistent and your shoulders are massive, guess that must be all the swimming you do. Great work can’t wait to see the end of week 4 photos.
Just noticed the “happy camper” under my avatar, guess it was you who put it there. I’m glad that’s how I come across, I am a naturally happy guy that loves life my glass is always half full, but not with coke. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thesixpackjourney.blogspot.com/
Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:04 am

Thanks Pete! I wish my body fat was non existant, although it does not look it i am still around 13/14% according the the reader i use (i think it may be time to buy a new one!)

Yeah the 'Happy Camper' is one of the Ranks that we now have, speaking of which i said i would post a breakdown of the ranks in the General Discussion. Better do that today - thanks for reminding me!

Steve

Number of posts : 429

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:54 am

Great results bro! cheers keep up all the hard work and you will be shredded at the end of week 16 guaranteed

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:45 pm

Very Happy Thanks Steve! I plan to be *imagines self walking accross a sandy beach shedded like a GOD!!!!*

I feel sooooo dead right now, just got back from a very challenging 2 hour swim session. I normally only do 1 hour on a Tuesday but the head coach has allowed me to use the pool for an extra hour after everyone has gone...which means i got to write my own set! So you can imagine it wasn't an easy one!! Here is what i did tonight:

Warm up:
200 meters Freestyle
200 meters Breaststroke Kick
200 meters Breaststroke Pull
200 meters Freestlye

Main Set:
4x50 meters Fly to Backstroke
200 meters Freestyle Pull
4x50 meters Backstroke to Breaststroke
200 meters Fly Pull
4x50 meters Breaststroke to Freestyle
200 meters Backstroke Pull
4x50 meters Freestly to Fly
200 meters Breaststroke Pull

100 meters choice easy

Secondary Set (written by me!):
50 meter Breaststroke - RACE PACE
10 Push-ups
Do the above 10 times through.

This was a killer, i haven't felt so much pain in years! I have a feeling i will be suffering from that set for the next week!

Warm Down:

2x200 meters Individual Medely
100 meters Freestyle

TOTAL METERS: 3,300 meters.

I was hoping to do more than 3,300 meters in the 2 hours, i know i can get over 4,000 but after that breaststroke set i had nothing else to give. Im off to bed now for some well needed sleep.

Work hard guys!

Sean

Steve

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:18 pm

Damn bro, that's a boatload of swimming, must be crazy to juggle all that swimmimg and so Arnel's workouts at the same time. Well Done cheers

jamie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:26 am

Pics look great!

That workout must have been insane! I can only imagine your daily caloric requirements, 4-5k? Eating that much even sound like a work out. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jamiejjeimaj.blogspot.com/
Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:20 pm

I wrote this for a blog back when i started the first 16 weeks, its basically a short version of my life in sport and the poeple that have made it all worthwhile. It is quite long so i wont feel bad if no-one reads it but here it is non-the-less. You can probably tell i am not a writer, not a great peice of work - but it surves its purpose.

THE PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE…

I was first brought into competitive swimming around 1999 because of my dad, I was taking swimming lessons at the time and he thought that I was good enough to swim with a club. He arranged a trial for me with the City of Milton Keynes Swim Club (CMKSC). Needless to say I was accepted into the club and I started pretty must straight away.

I don’t remember must about my first few years training, but what I do remember is that my dad was always there watching from the balcony. I loved seeing him there and I loved that I was making him proud and impressing him.

Between 2000 and 2002 I was being coached by Derek Harriet in the County squad, like with a lot of coaches – some days you liked him, some days you hated him. Both Derek and my dad were pushing me to succeed. The only problem: I had no natural talent in swimming. Some people can get into the water and swim fast, I couldn’t. Any competition I entered I would not be close to top 3 in my age, in fact I would be near or at the bottom. If I was to succeed I would have to push myself day in and day out, I did push myself but never hard enough.

At some point training slightly hard paid off; I was moved into the top County lane with the older lads: Simon, Chris, Richard, Andy, and Dan – Later on Kenna as well. Me, Simon and Chris were already close friends and were also a few years older than me but now I was training with guys 3 or 4 years older than me as well. These guys really pushed me hard. I wanted to prove that I could keep up with them; I wanted to prove that I could beat them. I trained at the same pace as them, but when it came to the competitions I didn’t stand a chance.

Around 2003 I was offered to move into the Regional Squad and have Sue Holden as my coach. She told me I still not quite good enough to move up, but if I promised to work hard she will move me up anyway. So I agreed, and left all my friends back in the County squad.

Training was very different; it was on a completely different level than training with Derek. I trained to keep up with the others; I pushed myself so that I didn’t fall behind. They were a lot faster than me.

In the end pushing myself to keep up paid off, I was asked to swim in the younger boys County relay team. This is where the major problems began. Kenna told me that a swimmer (who will remain unnamed) had been talking about me behind my back – saying that I am not good enough to be on the team and he should be.

Before I continue I will explain something about Sue Holden. In the words of Joe Winyard “A lesbian and closet fascist, she ran CMK Swimming Club as an autocracy. Her rhetoric at times verged on harassment yet there remained an undercurrent of ardour and principle”. Although she was a good coach if you weren’t one of her favourites – or related to one of her favourites – then she wouldn’t take a liking to you. She was a verbal bully, she knew how to make you feel bad about yourself, about your stroke, and about the way you swim. Using the words ‘crap’, ‘horrible’, ‘terrible’ to describe parts of your stoke or how you just swam the last set.

Anyway, I went up to Sue and told her that she should have a word with this guy before I hit him – seems a bit serious? To me it was. I had never been good enough to swim on the relay before, or even to be considered. She exploded. Not on him, on me. She gave me the whole you will not touch another one of my swimmers speech (well it wasn’t so much a speech – rather her yelling at me).

Since then it was a love hate relationship. We both loved swimming, we both hated each other.

As any athlete I had my ups and downs. My dad, through years of watching me train, knew what to expect of me and when I didn’t train well I would hear about it. Emotionally it hurt because one of the reasons that I swim is because I want him to be proud of me, I want to continually impress him. He threatened many times that he would stop watching me if I didn’t train hard. Eventually he stopped coming. It was heartbreaking and depressing. He had been there for so many years and now he was gone. I think it was as hard for me and is was for him, he loved the sport as much as I did. He said he would come up from time to time but that was it.

You would rarely hear a compliment escape Sue’s mouth and she was very quick to criticise. I trained to my max for months on end but I was never moved up to the lower National squad lane, even though I knew I could keep up. I trained harder and harder because I knew that when my dad would watch it would impress him, and when he told me that I trained well and that he was proud, well, it was the best feeling - better than any gold medal!

One session Sue was not there and one of the other swimmers asked if I wanted to swim with them in the lower national lane, so I did. Not only did I keep up with them, I also lead some of the sets. This proved to me that I could do it and that I was good enough. Even some of the parents and the other swimmers thought that I should swim in there full time. I was hyped – especially because my dad was there to see it.

Sue thought differently. On her return she pulled me to one side and told me not to warm up. So I was sitting there unaware what was going to be said, watching all the others swim up and down. Eventually she came over to me; I could see evil in her eyes and knew the next few minutes would be pure hell.

Can I remember everything she said? No. But I can remember what hurt the most. She told me that I am not good enough to swim with them and that I will never be good enough, I may as well give up.

That hurt. I couldn’t train hard after that, I was depressed, de-motivated, and upset. I knew I was good enough and I had trained to my max to be good enough, why should I bother training hard if it gets me no-where? After that I didn’t train hard for months. I wanted to give up and quit. Thankfully with my dad on hand he persuaded me to keep going and that we would look into other clubs.

December 2004 I met Jess, she was – and still is – incredible, and by the 18th we were a couple. One of the best parts of our relationship is that she loved the fact I swam, she would watch me train, she would come to competitions, and she would support me. I had a reason to train hard again, to impress her and to make her proud. She would bust my balls if I didn’t train or didn’t train hard enough, and although I may not have seemed grateful I was. Without her there I would have given up. She was my reason, and she was my motivation. I can never thank her enough for that.

Remember I said that I was never top 3 in my age, in fact near the bottom or at the bottom in the rankings at competitions? Well at the County Championships 2005 I managed to get into a few finals. One of the finals – the 50m butterfly – was on the same evening as my best friend’s birthday party. I told Sue that I could not compete as I had a party to go to. She didn’t like that at all.

“You are not going to that party, you are staying here and competing in that final!” was said to me. My friends, like my family, mean a hell of a lot to me, and to be told that I was not allowed to go to his party – well that was the last straw. I answered…

“Fine, I quit.” I walked off poolside.

That was it.

Without wasting any time I joined Bletchley and District Swim Club (B&DSC), this was a very different atmosphere. It wasn’t as professional, it wasn’t as disciplined, the coaches treated you like humans, and the sets weren’t as hellish. It was a dream.

No disrespect to the guys there, but training wise I was on a completely different level to them – even though some of them could match me or beat me in a race. Months I lead the fast lane at the club and eventually the others caught up with my training speed. For a while they named me the Machine – because I just didn’t stop, no matter what the set was.

Since I joined B&DSC I have competed in three club championships and done relatively well each time. 2006 I actually won the 100m butterfly.

After leaving CMKSC I have been determined more than ever to train hard and prove what I can do. I increased my training by swimming public sessions at my local pool, as well as joining the gym.

A year or so after I left CMKSC Sue left the club and a new coach came in, Greg Buck. I met him, and swam with him, a few times during the public sessions. I found the way he coached and his sets to be of a really high quality.

In 2007 I became a joint member, of both B&DSC and CMKSC; B&DSC training in the evenings and CMKSC in the mornings. ( I have now stopped training at CMK after suffering from low energy and increased depression.)

Mid July 2007 me and Jess split up. Thankfully we are now best friends and are very close. She is still very supportive and still motivating, and she still busts my balls when I miss training. What would I do without her? I have no idea and never want to find out!

I am now looking forward to the County Championships 2008 and I want to make both my dad and Jess proud of what I can do. I want to achieve my 50m Breaststroke and 100m Breaststroke National Qualifying times.

To help succeed I have created a new training timetable which includes training at B&DSC, resistance training, skill development training, and conditioning training – it all equals around 10-14 hours per week. Keeping to this timetable is going to be very hard and very difficult but I know that if I work with it I stand a chance of hitting my aims.

To go to bed with satisfaction means I need to wake up with determination. I am going to do this. I am going to succeed.

Xavi
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:51 pm

You left me with no words after reading this....

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!! king king king king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:25 pm

That's some good stuff man, well done! cheers

Danny

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:55 am

First of all, thanks for the comment on my blog, dude, I'm glad that you guys care about me and each other in this challenge..

Your pictures looks great, man.. Anyone should be motivated looking at them.. Very Happy - Great job!

Stay strong, champ!

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 am

Cheers guys!

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:54 am

Nothing training related, but this picture was taken last weekend when i went down to Peacehaven for my nans birthday - small family gathering. Good laugh. Anyway, here is the pic:

Here i have my brother and one of my cousins on my back, at the same time. Between them they must weigh 20 stone (127kg, 280lbs), and i went for a walk across Peacehaven seafront. Smile

Ohh yeah, i felt strong. lol.

Steve

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:29 am

Awesome stuff there man. Peacehaven looks like a nice place to hang out and chill while carrying family members on your back Very Happy

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:26 am

Indeed it was!

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Ok i have FINALLY set up a proper blog. That does not mean i wont be posting in my workout log but i thought i would make one non-the-less. Here is the link: http://swimseanperfection.blogspot.com/

I will try and update this everyday - but knowing my luck it will end up every few days.

Enjoy

Sean

Steve

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:34 am

Great blog man, looking forward to checking out the updates and improvemnets over the weeks.

Sean Ryan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 am

Updated blog: http://swimseanperfection.blogspot.com/

I am still sore from the workout yesterday - can't wait to swim tonight to help loose the ache.

Steve

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:09 am

Looked like one hell of a workout man, keep it up, well done! cheers

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Workout Log: Sean Ryan   

Back to top Go down

Workout Log: Sean Ryan
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next